Kings and Queens of Old Scotland
Click here for a map of Old Scotland
76: Corbredus (Galdus) a Caledonian chief who fought Agricola on Mons
Graupius A.D. 86, into whose mouth Tacitus puts an eloquent speech.
574: Aidanus, son of Gabran; crowned King of Dalraida (part of Scotland) by
Saint Columba on Iona in 574, died 606. He is supposedly the father of
Arthurius, King of the Scots, better known as the legendary King Arthur of
607: Cineadh Cerr, Kenneth the left-handed, reigned over Dalraida for 3
months. He died in battle, fighting invaders from the South.
608: Arthurius, King of the Scots, better known as the legendary
King Arthur of
Camelot. Many legends surround his history. Supposedly he died in battle
632: Domnall Breac, King of Dalraida, killed in battle at Strathcarron in
646: Fearchar Fada, or Farquhar the tall, was a chief of the clan Baedan rather
than a king. Died in 697
664: Malduinus, 664 - no information about him.
684: Eugenius, or Oan, King of the Strathclyde Scots who defeated and
killed Domnall Breac, King of Dalraida in Strathcarron in 642.
697: Amberkeletus (also known as Ainbhceallach), son of Fearchar Fada, killed by
his brother, Sealbhach, in 724.
732: Mordacus, (Muredach), claimant for the throne of Dalraida, possibly
king for a short time.
767: Solvathius, (Sealbhach) son of Fearchar Fada, who expelled his
brother Amberkeletusin 719 and killed him in battle in 724.
834: Kenneth I, also known as Kenneth MacAlpin, who after conquering the Picts,
became first King of Alba (all of what is now Scotland) in 832; died in 860.
859: Constantin, King of Strathclyde Scots.
889: Donaldus 6, son of Aedh, and brother of King Constantin. Killed by Danish invaders in 900.
904: Constantinus 3, no information.
943: Milcolumbus, Killed near Fetteresso in 954.
954: Indulph, son of King Constantin, reigned until 963.
963: Culenus, (Cuilean Finn, or white Colin), son of King Indulph, died 971.
970: Kenneth 3, killed in civil war near Loch Earn in 1005.
This list is not necessarily complete. It will be added to as more
information becomes available.
NOTES ON SOME KINGS AFTER 1000 A.D.
Here is a list of Kings (and one Queen) of Scotland in the period of
about 200 years leading up to the reign of King Robert the Bruce.
- Malcolm 11 (1005 - 1034)
- Duncan 1 (1034 - 1040)
- Macbeth (1040 - 1057)
- Malcolm 111, (Canmore), son of Duncan 1 (1057 - 1093)
- Donald Bane, second son of Duncan 1 (1093 - 1094)
- Duncan 11, son of Malcolm Canmore, (1094 -1094)
- Donald Bane, second reign (1094 - 1097)
- Edgar, son of Malcolm Canmore, (1097 - 1107)
- Alexander 1, brother of Edgar and son of Malcolm Canmore (1107 - 1124)
- David 1, brother of Edgar and Alexander and son of Malcolm Canmore(1124 - 1153)
- Malcolm 1V, grandson of Davd 1 (1153 - 1165)
- William the Lion, brother of Malcolm 1V (1165 - 1214)
- Alexander 11, son of William the Lion (1214 - 1249)
- Alexander 111, son Alexander 11 (1249 - 1286)
- Margaret, Maid of Norway (1286 - 1290)
- First Interregnum, English occupation of Scotland (1290 - 1292)
- John Balliol, descendant of David 1 (1292 - 1296)
- Second Interregnum, English occupation of Scotland (1296 - 1306)
- Robert 1 the Bruce, descendant of David 1 (1306 - 1329)
Macbeth killed Duncan in 1040 A.D. as made famous by William Shakespeare
Mary, Queen of Scots, 1542 - 1567, executed at Fotheringay in 1587.
Mural from the Museum of Antiquities, Edinburgh
Apart from Wallace and Bruce (seen on the left side of the mural), you
can also find Macbeth, Thomas the Rhymer, and
other famous Scots from the Middle Ages.
Want to see your face painted in woad and on Wallace's shoulders? Want
to see your face in a famous historical setting? Then check out this